Sunday 27 January 2008

A Writer's Journal (3)

A KIND OF DAYDREAMING

"It annoys me, as it might any novelist, to have my own work reduced to autobiography, as though you've just written down what happened.

Often writing isn't always a reflection of experience so much as a substitute for it, an 'instead of' rather than a 'reliving', a kind of daydreaming. The relation between a life and the telling of it is impossible to unravel."

From: Hanif Kureishi - My Ear at His Heart. Reading My Father (originally published 2004, Faber & Faber, paperback edition 2005, page 11.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

books.guardian.co.uk: Hanif Kureishi's My Ear At His Heart is a beguiling and complex tale of fact, fiction and family tensions, says Peter Preston

Anonymous said...

"The good thing about writing is that you don't have to have a final point of view, that you can try out different ways of seeing, or different selves."

- HANIF KUREISHI