Wednesday 16 April 2008

Invention or Description

Gore Vidal's lucid analyses are unsurpassed for succinctness.

His clarity of prose and the casual apercus in his latest memoir, tossed off along the way, are as irresistable as ever. "Point to Point Navigation" (published 2006), is a highly recommended augmentation to his "Palimpsest" and "United States. Essays 1952-92".

Here's an excerpt:

"Paul [Bowles] had a difficult time with his memoir because he tended to remember places more than people. He had given his agent a list of famous people he had known and then discovered, a bit late, that he had little or nothing to say about them. (...) I now recall that at one point Paul asked me jokingly, I thought, if I could think of anything interesting or memorable that I had said or done when he was around. I replied, accurately, that I had forgotten me, too. Fiction writers with a gift for inventing other universes cannot be held to the journalist role of describing someone actually observed at large in quotidian reality."


(From "Point to Point Navigation. A Memoir 1964 - 2006", pages 110-111.)

No comments: